January 24, 2024
Introducing to SVP: A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency
We’re thrilled to introduce you to a new Investee: A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency! They joined the SVP community in late 2023. They are the recipients of a microgrant from SVP.
Support for the A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency’s microgrant is drawn from our Early Years Innovation Fund, which invests in organizations supporting children under age 6 and their families. We recognize that intervening during this formative time can alter the trajectory of a child’s life and can lead to an estimated 10x social return to society over time.
Our recent Early Years Impact Report stressed the critical situation of the Early Childhood Education space for early learning and care; and yet, this field is facing a staffing crisis, leading to a lack of access to childhood and early learning in many parts of the province. The A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre’s long-term, forward-thinking approach addresses this challenge, while also supporting youth who are pursuing education in Early Childhood Education. We believe that by funding groundbreaking projects, we open up the potential for a huge impact down the line. Monique Belanger, project lead for the mentorship program, is open and enthusiastic about collaborating with other communities and Early Childhood Education centres that are hoping to set up a pilot program of their own in their communities.
Mentoring Youth for Long-Term Impact, with SVP’s Help
A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency will prototype a mentorship program that supports youth pursuing careers in Early Childhood Education. This pilot program works with youth enrolled in the Dual Credit Early Childhood Education program—who are still attending high school while simultaneously taking university-credit courses in the evening.
The A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre’s innovative mentorship program aims to help alleviate the labour crisis in Early Childhood Education by supporting youth who are pursuing training and careers in the field. This will in turn provide holistic and inclusive childcare resources to families with children in the Early Years space, helping them to thrive.
About A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency
Based in Chilliwack, the A:lmélháwtxw “Caring for our Children” Early Education Centre provides programming that offers a quality, holistic, traditional and safe environment for children from birth to six years of age. Some highlights of their programming include the following:
- Programs designed to offer children opportunities to explore the Stó:lō (people of the river) culture, language, and traditions.
- An environment that fosters individual learning styles, exploration, and self-acceptance.
- Early learning activities, which allow the children to learn through play.
- A program environment that blends the teachings of the Stó:lō people, the Halq’eméylem language and early education concepts.
When children are given these opportunities, they will naturally learn and develop social, emotional, creative, and physical development skills. The inclusive environment at the A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency provides a harmonious balance that fosters children’s natural ways of learning.
With SVP’s Support, A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency Plans To…
- Help develop a new cohort of Early Childhood Educators through a strong mentorship program
- Help to alleviate the staffing crisis in the Early Childhood Education space
- Grow a long-term approach to ensuring access to childhood resources in a holistic, inclusive atmosphere, helping children in the Early Years space thrive.
- Work with SVP Vancouver’s Social Impact and Strategy Coach, Karen Gelb, on this pilot program
Learn more about A:lmélháwtxw Early Education Centre – Stó:lō Service Agency and their impact here.